Sunday, April 11, 2010

Update...or something like that.

Things in our life have changed...I got a new job and LOVE it.  Lou is considering back surgery...not right away, but within the next few years. I think with those two things it is safe to say that I kind of made up my mind to follow my head (and not my heart) and take a break from fertility/baby planning for a while.  My new job is great.  I like my bosses and everyone I work with.  I am busier than ever, but I really do prefer to work that way...busy is definitely better in my opinion.  Even though my new boss is completely 100% family oriented, I kind of feel like I need to put in a little time before I start planning to take time off to have a baby.  And with Lou's possible back surgery plans I feel like we need to put his health ahead of any further family planning.  Some of the back surgeries require some extensive therapy and recovery and bringing a baby into that mix may not be the best/smartest thing.

Just because I made my mind up does not mean this has been any easier on my heart.  Having a new job and a busy life has definetly helped  keep my mind occupied, but every now and then the sadness and longing creeps in and I am reminded how much I want to be a mother.  Today Lou and I were at Target.  I was ordering a drink at Starbucks and a mom and a little boy came up and she was asking him if he wanted anything.  He was walking a talking, but still real little and just so sweet.  I was watching them and thinking that I couldn't wait for the day when someone called me mom, and came crying to me when she/he was hurt.

Most days for me are pretty good.  I usually don't think about babies and when someone brings up kids or babies I can usually keep it together.  I haven't been to the doctor in months. I think I did ovulate on my own last month.  I started my period on my own. We'll see what happens with this next cycle and I suppose that if I go more than a month or two without a period I should make an appointment.  Right now it feels kind of good to take my mind (and my body) off all of the systems and cycles and just let it be. I will say not having any hormones has been kind of weird. My emotions are a lot more all over the place.  I am breaking out like a teenager again and I sometimes just feel like I am coming out of my skin.

I keep telling myself that I am going to buy a book on grieving or see a grievance counselor, but I haven't done either.  Right now I want to work on coming back to a place where I just enjoy where I am in my life. I want to feel content with just being Lou's wife.  I want to feel happy about being a step-mom to Jackson.  I want to like myself as I am and not feel like I am broken/being punished for something/incapable/unfit/not cut out for...

Last week I lost my aunt.  I haven't said that outloud...or even written that a whole lot yet.  She was a beautiful, funny, sweet, warm, full of life, childless woman.  She was married to an amazing man and their love was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.  I wish I had been more close to her than I was.  I never asked her about her inability to have children or her decision to not adopt.  I didn't start to experience my own journey with infertility until after she had been diagnosed with ALS and was fighting with all her strength for her own life.  I thought so many times about picking up the phone and asking her to tell me her story, but I felt selfish to do that and I never did.  I know that she had made peace with all of that, but oh how I wish I knew how she got to that place.

Some days I feel like I am making progress and finding joy in my life as it is and other days I feel that longing creeping in...Does it ever stop creeping in?

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had answers for you. I really do. This is just my opinion.
    The bad news.... I am not sure it ever fully goes away. I think it just changes. Grief is grief. It will just be something you always want.
    The Good news.... life is still really good. If you feel you are at the bottom, there is only one way to go, and that's up. Life is made-up of changes and sometimes we are disappointed and we have to change our plans, but it doesn't always have to be a bad thing. Sometimes the best stuff comes out of those changes, it just may take awhile to see the best stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know the answer to your question. I wonder that myself, all the time. I have a book called Silent Sorority, it is written by the blogger who writes a blog called 'Coming2Terms'. (http://coming2terms.com/) I haven't had the guys to read it yet, but it deals with that exact issue.

    What I do know is that ttc breaks can be very good for the soul. I hope you find increased happiness with Lou and Jackson over this next little while.

    ReplyDelete

No soliciting, no negative comments...this is my journey and my opinion. If you don't like it...quit reading my blog.